Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Asus P3C-e and EWS

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Beta-Decay's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,417
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello, I have gotten myself into a mess and I was wondering if its worth fixing.
    I am building a new system with for my EWS. I have an Asus p3c-e, P3 733, and 64mb of Rdram.

    The problem is that it won't boot, I have tried many things and nothing works. I think the ram is not good.

    I am wondering if anyone has used this board or any rdram board wih the EWS. I don't want to spend all this time and more money to fix it and find that it won't work with the EWS. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Is it not booting at ALL, or just not booting with the EWS in it?
    I think before blaming the memory, you should boot the system without any add-on cards except for the graphics card of course. If it just doesn't boot with EWS in it, check which ISA slot is shared with which PCI slot. Maybe some rearranging might help.
    And stupid question maybe: did you connect that little softpower cable to the right connector? In my experience Asus manual is always a bit unclear in this (it's confusing compared to what's printed on the board).
    So please try to be more specific in your questions, that helps others to assist you in a better way.
    Good luck,
    Arnoud.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Beta-Decay's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,417
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have tried booting with every possible combination of hardware. I have also tried several jumper settings. The only change is that when the CPU is not in it beeps repeatedly.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    Of course it beeps when the cpu is not in wink
    Beeping is a hardware problem: assuming you took everything out except for cpu, memory and graphics card it should be one of those three items. In your case I would go back to the dealer and let him figure it out. They always have alternative parts on the shelf, so they should be in the position to narrow it down to the faulty component. You can rule out the cpu I think. I bet on the memory (can you access the bios? If you can read it, it's less possible that it's the graphics card wink. Talking about bios: faulty bios is possible too.
    Did you ever have this mainboard working by the way, or has it always been this way?
    Arnoud

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Beta-Decay's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,417
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It turns out that no one is aware that rambus memory needs to be paired. I contacted anyone that might know something about the problem.
    Everyone, including tech support made sure I "plugged everything in right" but nobody let me know that it needed to be paired in order to work.

    I bought another module and stuck it in and everything suddenly works fine.


    Thanks tech support.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •